Prevent Catalytic Converter Theft
What is a catalytic converter and why do people steal them?
Catalytic converters regulate your vehicle's emissions. Catalytic converter theft continues to occur nationwide because they contain precious metals with high recycling values.
What are the most popular vehicles for catalytic converter theft?
According to data from the Orange County Sheriff's Department, although any vehicle can be a target, the most frequently affected vehicles are:
- Toyota Prius
- Toyota Tacoma
- Honda Accord
- Honda Element
- Park in a secure garage or well-lit area.
- Park as close to the curb as possible to prevent easy access underneath your vehicle.
- Calibrate alarm systems to activate upon vibration.
- Install motion-activated lights around your home.
- Install video surveillance cameras around your home.
- Etch your vehicle’s VIN or license plate number on the converter for identification if stolen.