History

The City of Stanton is located in northwestern Orange County. With a population of more than 39,000 in 3.1 square miles, residents enjoy a small town, close-knit community feeling. The City was incorporated in 1956 and has enjoyed growth and prosperity since that time. The City's motto - Community Pride and Forward Vision identifies Stanton as a place where innovation and pride in the community are an important aspect of life.  Residents enjoy major retail opportunities, active civic volunteers and business-friendly City organizations. Residents benefit from a wide variety of activities and resources provided by the City, including great parks, a family resource center for mental health and family services, annual holiday events and a variety of recreational programs.

Phil Stanton in Field1895 - Philip Stanton standing in his field
Modern Stanton can trace its origins to one of the largest land grants made in California - a concession that covered over 300,000 acres of land. Manuel Perez Nieto, the successful petitioner, found his grant reduced approximately one-half following a protest by the padres of Mission San Gabriel. Upon Manuel Nieto's death in 1804, his son Juan Jose took title to Rancho Los Coyotes and Rancho Los Alamitos. Following his confirmation of the title to the lands in 1834, then-governor Jose Figueroa proceeded to purchase Rancho Los Alamitos (28,000 acres) from Juan Jose Nieto for $500, or less than 2 cents an acre. He, in turn, sold the Rancho in 1842 to Don Able Stearns for $6,000. Stearns, born in Massachusetts, was one of the first American immigrants to arrive in California in 1829.

In 1906 the Pacific Electric Railway began operations through the area. Within four years the train was so busy that they ran two cars, both ways. The people of Stanton found the Pacific Electric to be a great asset because it gave them a mainline into Los Angeles for business purposes and made it easy for agents of the Stearns Rancho Corporation to bring prospective buyers out to see the land.

Tract Map of the area known as BenedictArea that was known as "Benedict"  - Tract Map
Prior to 1911, the community was known as "Benedict," In that year, the City of Anaheim proposed the creation of a sewage farm in this section of County land. The ranchers of the region reacted sharply to this proposal. With the aid of Philip Stanton, a Republican assemblyman for Los Angeles and former Speaker of the California State Assembly, the 16 square miles that were intended for the contemplated sewage farm territory were incorporated in May 1911.

Stanton remained an incorporated community until 1924. At an election held on July 22, 1924, the voters decided to disincorporate to allow the State to construct roads in the territory. On August 8, 1924, the City Clerk, Della M. Davis, filed disincorporation papers with the Secretary of State. The City did not reincorporate until 1956.

On May 15, 1956 a successful election was held on incorporation. On June 4, 1956, the City of Stanton was officially incorporated under the general law form of government as specified by the State of California. Upon recommendation of the Stanton Women's Civic Club in October 1959, the Jacaranda was selected as the City Tree, and the Bird of Paradise was selected as its City Flower.
City-Seal_1
Contests to generate a new City seal and motto were conducted in early 1987. The motto, "Community Pride & Forward Vision" was adopted in March of 1987 and has led the City forward over the last thirty-plus years. The colors selected for the seal each have their unique meaning: dark blue for diligence, gold for abundance and harvest and light blue to represent justice. 

On January 24, 1989, Mr. Ard Keuilian of the indoor swap meet of Stanton officially presented to the City of Stanton a duplicate of the Stanton flag they had made which hangs on one of three flagpoles in front of the indoor swap meet building. On January 24, 1989, the City Flag was adopted.

IMG-Rodeo39-Front-001
Rodeo 39 Pubic Market located on Beach Blvd, opened in 2020 
In recent years,  Stanton has experienced rapid growth in the commercial, industrial and residential sectors, creating a well-balanced community. Our Community & Economic Development Department has been extremely successful in improving the quality of life in the City through the revitalization of its commercial and residential areas. 

The City of Stanton, a municipal corporation, operates under the Council-Manager form of government and provides a full range of quality municipal services through its various operating departments and contracted services. As such, every citizen in the City is a stakeholder entitled to be heard on City issues.