(Position posted on 8/10/2021)
The City's Internship Program is designed to provide hands-on experience and exposure to the functions and responsibilities of the Finance Department. This is a non-paid, part-time, training level position with flexible work hours depending on availability and class schedules.
FINAL FILING DATE: This position is Open Until Filled and may close without notice – APPLY IMMEDIATELY.
SUMMARY DESCRIPTION: Work is performed under direct supervision and is reviewed by a supervisor while in progress and upon completion. Interns in the Finance Department assist the City’s financial management, accounting, budgeting, cash management, business licensing, payroll, revenue collection, purchasing, and general administrative support services for the City.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES:
- Compile information and data for statistical and financial reports.
- Process accounts payables, cash receipts and supply requisitions.
- Verify revenues for proper coding, generate reports and reconcile to the general ledger.
- Audit payable vouchers and purchase orders.
- Process, issue and audit billing for business licenses.
- Assist Director with special projects in relation to investments, technology, budget and payroll.
- Provide information and assistance to the general public over the front counter and phone.
- Prepare correspondence, forms, letters, and brochures.
- Organize, reproduce, disseminate and file documents including special mailings.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism in interacting with the public, business community, City officials and associates.
- Provide general assistance to the department.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain a high standard of character and leadership qualities.
- Basic research skills.
- Skill in preparing clear and concise written reports.
- Maintain tactfulness and courtesy in explaining City procedures and requirements.
- Perform mathematical calculations quickly and accurately.
- Operate a computer and use word processing and spreadsheet software application programs.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with staff and other department representatives.
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying.
- Must be a high school graduate and a current undergraduate student, graduate student or a recent graduate of an accredited college or university with a major in Finance, Accounting, Business, Management, Public Administration, Economics, or a related field.
- Must have completed at least 60 units of college education including a Fundamentals of Accounting course (proof of completion required).
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to work in a standard office environment requiring prolonged sitting, standing, walking, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, squatting, crouching and stooping in the performance of daily activities.
- Movements frequently and regularly require using the wrists, hands and fingers to operate computers and office equipment.
- Occasional overtime, weekend and/or evening work may be required.
- Ability to hear and convey detailed or important instructions or information verbally and accurately.
- Average visual acuity to prepare and read documents.
THE CITY OF STANTON IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. All applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, disability, genetic status or any other legally protected status.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE: A City Volunteer Application must be completed and submitted along with a resume and transcript (unofficial transcripts accepted) to: Human Resources, City of Stanton, 7800 Katella Ave, Stanton, CA 90680 or via e-mail to HR@StantonCA.gov. Resumes or references to a resume will not be accepted in lieu of a completed City application. Applications will be reviewed carefully, and only those who appear to have the best qualifications will be invited to continue in the selection process. Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee an invitation to compete further in the process.
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION: The Personnel Department will make reasonable efforts in the application and selection process to accommodate persons with a qualified disability. Please advise the Personnel Department in writing in advance of the selection process, including an explanation as to the type and extent of accommodations as well as documentation from a qualified authority of the requirements needed to participate in the selection process.
IMMIGRATION LAW: In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, proof of identity and eligibility to work in the United States is required prior to the employment start date.
BACKGROUND CHECK: Once an employment offer has been made, all candidates will participate in a confidential background investigation, have their fingerprints reviewed by the Department of Justice and be required to take a pre-employment medical exam which may include a drug and alcohol test prior to employment.
ABOUT THE CITY: The City of Stanton, incorporated in 1956, is located in West Orange County and is adjacent to the cities of Anaheim, Buena Park, Cypress and Garden Grove. The city has a land area of 3.1 square miles and a current population of approximately 39,000. The City of Stanton is a drug-free workplace and there is a no smoking policy within the City offices and vehicles.