In 1989, the State of California signed into law landmark environmental legislation, which has and continues to shape the industry of recycling and refuse. Assembly Bill 939 (AB939) requires every city and county in the state of California to divert at least 50% of their entire waste stream from landfills. In order to do so, the City of Stanton calls upon the assistance of all valuable business members and residents in their communities to participate in waste reduction and recycling efforts.
Since the early 1990's, the City of Stanton has partnered with CR&R to recycle the City's residential waste. After this waste is collected and consolidated, it is transported to CR&R's state-of-the-art recycling plant located in Stanton. The recycling plant is uniquely designed to separate and recover recyclable materials from unsorted household waste. This process eliminates the need for additional containers and separate collection pick-ups normally associated with residential recycling programs.
Although separation of refuse is not mandatory, please remember that all of your trash will be mechanically or manually sorted. In order to minimize contamination of recyclable materials, please separate newspapers, yard and food waste, and animal waste and diapers in bags, bundles, or a different container.
Assembly Bill 341 directed CalRecycle to enforce regulations for mandatory commercial recycling in order to reduce greenhouse gas by diverting commercial waste & to expand the opportunity for additional recycling services and recycling manufacturing facilities in California. Please see the CalRecycle page for additional information,
SIMPLE RECYCLING TIPS
- Collect and use plastic food storage containers.
- Recycle your plastic bags, find a location here.
- Invest in rechargeable batteries and a battery charger.
- Buy Recycled Products
- Select products that use minimal packaging
- Buy only what you know you will use. Prevents waste and spoilage
- Use towel, rags and cloth napkins to reduce waster
- Place recyclables is a different bag than regular trash. It prevents contamination of recyclables stock.
- Divert 50% of your waste. Remember to place all food waste and yard clippings in you organic recycling bin.
- Pass it on-electronics, cloths, and other goods can be given away for someone else’s use.