Applications & Forms

An encroachment permit is required prior to the performance of any work in the public right-of-way. The application form, insurance requirements, and how to submit an encroachment permit application can be found below. Applicants should submit these applications in PDF format directly to the Public Works Department at Encroachment Permits have a turnaround time of approximately five (5) working days.

The Plan Check Application Form must be submitted for the submittal below. Any submittals without the Plan Check Application Form will not be accepted. Applicants should submit the application and associated documents in PDF format directly to the Public Works Department at

Grading permits are required for projects where curb, gutter, sidewalk, paving, alternation of finished grades, drainage, and other on-site improvements are conducted, unless waived by the City Engineer or otherwise covered under a building permit. In cooperation with the Building Department, the Building Department accepts grading plans for plan checking and these plans are routed to the City Engineer for review. The Building Department also issues the grading permit.

Street improvement plan submittals are required for development projects (and for some encroachment permits) where substantial work will occur in the City right-of-way. Typical improvements depicted on this plan include new or reconstructed curb, gutter, sidewalk, pavement, sewer, water, and other utility work. Applicants should submit these plans in paper or PDF format directly to the Public Works Department at Separate plan check fees apply. Once the plan is approved, the applicant may apply for an encroachment permit to construct the improvements.
Plan Check List
(Note: Only pages 1-2, 9-11 are applicable)
  • City Standard Title Sheet


A subdivision map is further classified as a "tract map" or "parcel map" based on how many units, parcels, or lots are created from the subdivision. When the proposed subdivision results in 5 or more units, parcels, or lots, the subdivision map is known as a "tract map." When the proposed subdivision results in 4 or fewer units, parcels, or lots, the subdivision map is known as a "parcel map." The type of map being submitted for approval must be clearly stated in the title of the map. 

In cooperation with the Community Development Department, applicants must submit tentative parcel maps, tentative tract maps, and lot line adjustment applications to the Community Development Department first as part of the project entitlement process. In turn, Community Development will route these tentative maps to the City Engineer for review. 

Final parcel maps and final tract maps should be summitted in paper or PDF format to the Public Works Department at Separate review fees apply.

Water Quality Management Plans (WQMPs) are required for "Priority Development Projects" in conformance with the Santa Ana Regional Water Quality Control Board's Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System Permit. The WQMP details  structural best management practices that will be used on proposed development projects. This requirement typically affects all new development and redevelopment projects. The Community Development Department in conjunction with Public Works will make the final determination if a WQMP is required. If required, applicants are required to submit WQMPs directly to the Public Works Department via e-mail at If not, required, applicants may still have to submit a Non-Priority Project Plan (NPP) outlining non-structural best management practices that will be used on a project. Separate review fees apply.

The City's FOG Control Program aims to keep fats, oils, and grease out of the City's sewer system. Some businesses will be required to install a grease interceptor as part of the plan check process. The FOG Permit application can be downloaded below.