Frequently Asked Questions - Planning

General Planning Questions

What is Zoning and how can I find out what the Zoning Designations is for my property?
Zoning divides the city into specific areas (most typically Residential, Commercial, and Industrial) in order to regulate the development standards like the number of units, building height, setbacks and appearance required for each zone. To quickly find the Zoning designation of your property, you can use the City of Stanton's Zoning Map by clicking here, or you can provide the address to the Planning Division and we are happy to provide your property's zoning information. You can reach the Planning Division at or (714) 890 4210.
What types of uses are allowed on my property?

The types of uses allowed on your property depend on the Zoning designation. There are two types of allowable uses: Permitted and Conditional.

  • Permitted uses are compatible with the underlying Zoning designation. These uses do not require special conditions and can be developed after plans have been reviewed by the Divisions of Building and Planning and permits are issued.
  • Conditional uses require specific conditions to ensure their compatibility within the surrounding area. Conditional Uses are presented to the Planning Commission at a public hearing after review and recommendation by the Planning Division.

For information on specific uses, please contact the Planning Division at (714) 890 4210.

How big is my property? How do i find the dimensions for my lot?
The size of your property listed in square feet or acres can be found on your Property Survey which can be typically found with Title and Deed documents for your home. The City of Stanton does not maintain this specific property information. However, you can find property size by contacting the Orange County Assessor at (714) 834-2727
What is a legally nonconforming building, structure, or use?
A building, structure, or use is considered legally non-conforming if it was legally constructed or established prior to the current Zoning Code regulations. More information regarding legally non-conforming buildings, structures or uses, is available in Chapter 20.620 of the Stanton Municipal Code.
What are the parking requirements for my business?
The number of required parking spaces is determined by your property's specific use. To find parking requirements, you can refer to Chapter 20.320 of the Stanton Municipal Code, or you can call the Planning Division at (714) 890-4210.

Accessory Dwelling Units

What is an ADU?
Accessory dwelling unit" or "ADU" means an attached or a detached residential dwelling unit that provides complete independent living facilities for one or more persons and is located on a lot with a proposed or existing primary residence.
What are the benefits of an ADU?
  • ADUs are an affordable type of home to construct in California because they do not require paying for land, major new infrastructure, structured parking, or elevators.
  • ADUs can provide a source of income for homeowners.
  • ADUs are built with cost-effective wood frame construction, which is significantly less costly than homes in new multifamily infill buildings.
  • ADUs allow extended families to be near one another while maintaining privacy.
  • ADUs can provide as much living space as many newly-built apartments and condominiums, and they’re suited well for couples, small families, friends, young people, and seniors.
  • ADUs give homeowners the flexibility to share independent living areas with family members and others, allowing seniors to age in place as they require more care.
More information can be found on the Department of Housing and Community Development's Webpage.
How can I view the ADU regulations for the City?
You can view Ordinance No. 1108, Amendment to Stanton Municipal Code Section 20.400.330 here.